1 Month Since Injury - How To Remain Positive and Things to Do

Today marks one month since my accident and the ensuing broken leg debacle... and I can't believe how quick it has gone! I feel this marks a big tick in the box for recovery and a milestone for recovery. I am still sat here with my leg up but I haven't let this be the case for the full month. I think it is important to keep your mind entertained and so have been fortunate to venture out on a few 'day' trips... although even a few hours out of the house now seems like a big excursion. I thought I would write about how I've been able to get out and about a little bit over the past few weeks.

It is far too easy to focus on what you are not ale to do (running, cycling...going out and having a boogie!)... whatever your interests are. Yet as each week passes it becomes easier to focus your attention on what you are able to do, or at least make arrangements to try and get out and about somewhat. My mum had the idea of hiring a wheelchair from our local accessibility shop (£30 for the week) as many of you will know- crutches are surprisingly hard work and it is difficult to go for any real distance (maybe this is just me and my limited upper body strength?!). So we've been out for a few walks and it's great just to get some fresh air- it's a healer right?



It also hasn't withheld me from satisfying some retail therapy requirements...I mean it has therapy in it after all. I've been able to hire electric scooters in shopping centres, including Westfield at Shepherd's Bush, where a motorised version is most definitely required! These have been free of charge and have the benefit that you can go off independently (hoorah).... and at quite a speed.

As for my leg, the swelling has gone down a lot and I'm just working on my knee and ankle exercises daily. The movement in my ankle appears relatively good, being able to flex it back the same as the good leg. My knee is still very stiff but have seen some improvement in bending it backwards. It's still a way off being straight when stretched out. I have my first physio session in a week and I'm very much looking forward to it. I hope I will be advised a bit more on how much weight I can start to put on the leg, so fingers crossed for that!

They say time is the greatest healer and so I will have a mini celebration (in my mind) for the ONE MONTH post surgery mark (yay!). One month closer to getting back on a bike..... whenever that will be.

As for now, make the most of the rest, and say yes to any small trip out, it really can make a difference in getting your confidence back and independence. So cheers to that.... (sticking to tea for the foreseeable future).




LTL
x


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ski Injury - A Broken Leg in France - Intramedullary Rod

The Beginning - Hello and Welcome